And for those brave enough to race on New Year's Eve / New Year's Day - I hope it went well. You can legitimately say "it was your fastest race this year".
This week is my SECOND week on vacation. I can get used to this. Running-wise, another week marching toward my first marathon in March. Highlights of the week include a Yasso 800 workout on Tuesday and my longest run EVER on Saturday.
Tuesday's Workout - Yasso 800s x 9. I was spoiled this week and was able to run these on a HS track (since school is out this week).....my avg time for 800's was 2:56 (range from 2:52 - 2:58). Last interval was 2:55, so I think I did a decent job pacing. This would "indicate" my marathon time would be 2:55 - 3:00.
Mini Workout - Wednesday, since I had more time than when I'm working I went to the C and O and got in a nice 9.5 miles at easy effort. This "long-ish" run on a day after Yasso 800's is not exactly "easy" for me, but I enjoyed it. Good day.
Saturday Long Run - My assignment is 18 miles - no speeding up, or anything complicated, just "run 18 miles". So, that's what I did. My longest run ever, I feel "accomplishment".
UCAN Test - this week I tried drinking UCAN during my long run, as thats my strategy for fueling during my upcoming marathon. So, prior to the run I took a half serving of UCAN and carried a half serving with me. At mile 6, I started taking the second half of the serving - taking small drinks periodically. After about a mile I was able to get most of it down without any (at least very little) stomach upset. By mile 18 I was still good -fuel wise - so I'll keep trying this strategy on all my runs of 18 mi or longer. I still don't love the taste, but it works.
Weekly Miles: 57 (+ 3 mi power walk)
Long Run: 18
Weight: ? (It's New Year's...who cares?)
- Monday: 56 minutes easy including strides toward the end. 7.1 mi / 7:55 pace or so. Rolling and stretching. Core work. Hip mobility stuff.
- Tuesday: Yasso 800's x 9 on HS track. avg 2:56. 9.9 mi incl with & cd. ITB work. Squats/deadlifts/pull-ups/push-ups. Rollin and dynamic stretching.
- Wednesday: 72' easy on C&O. Legs tired from yesterday, but not bad. 10.1 mi. rolling and stretching. 9.5 mi. Hip mobility
- Thursday: 4.7 miles recovery /easy on roads around the house. Legs still feeling a little heavy from Yasso on Tuesday. Rolling and stretching.
- Friday: 58 min easy including strides on C&O. 7.4 mi (7:50 pace). Core work.
- Saturday: 18.1 mi on WOD - Leesburg to Purcelville and back. Overall pace @ 7:25. Even tho I kept the pace pretty much steady, this run really wiped me out...I feel a little guilty, but I moved my normal strength work on Saturday to Sunday.
- Sunday: brisk walk of about 3 miles. Hip mobility. ITB and strength work. Squats and dead lifts. Pull-ups and push ups. Hip mobility. Rolling and stretching.
Back to work for me on Tuesday....ugh.