Sunday, February 7, 2016

Training Log - Week Ending - 2/7/16

Week 7 of my 20 week plan to get to a 10k in mid-May (with a couple 5k's and an 8k along the way).  Goal time for the 10k is about 39:00...which will probably change after I do the 5ks....

This week is a reduced volume week...my coach, Jason Fitzgerald at Strength Running, likes to put in a lower volume week every 6-8 weeks to allow for some recovery and adaptation, can't hurt for injury prevention either!

Still a lot of snow on the trails and paved running paths in the area, so this week has been on the treadmill and roads around my house.  The roads around my house include more "rolling hills" than my normal paths...so that's probably a good change, I just have to be vigilant about vehicle traffic on the narrow country roads.

I FINALLY got to do some 10k pace work.    Last year, when I was using "my own home brewed" plan, I would have put A LOT more of this pace earlier in my training and more often.  AND, last year I got hurt and burned out.  It has taken a lot of patience for me to avoid doing the faster paces.....

After the 10k work on Wednesday, which was on a treadmill at 1% incline, I  will feeling tired but pretty good.  However, during my next run on Friday, my left hamstring didn't feel "right".  I'm not hurt, and I didn't have to alter my stride, but I immediately slowed down and took it easy the last couple of miles on Friday, and really easy again on my short Saturday run.  By time my long run on Sunday came around, which included 4 miles at "steady state" pace, the feeling of my hamstring not being "right" wasn't gone 100%, but definitely better than Friday.  I plan to keep my upcoming Monday and Tuesday runs VERY easy to ensure I continue to recover.
,
This year I'm doing "tempo" and "steady state" paces with longer long runs and higher overall mileage.  I feel like my overall "fitness" is better.  Last year, it was either "easy" pace or all out intervals, which I think left a gap in my fitness and lead to injury.

The extra work before and after the runs I think is helping as well.  I can't do a direct comparison to last year, but I'm running MORE miles with LESS stiffness and soreness.  The proof will be when I see my race times....

Total mileage:  28

Daily details below:

Monday - off.  Still sore from 12 miler yesterday.  Dynamic stretching / foam rolling.

Tuesday - 3 miles @ 8:00 pace + 4 strides on treadmill.  Core work.  Dynamic warm-up and cool down.

Wednesday - 7 miles with 6 x 2:00 at 10k pace with 2:00 jog recovery in the middle- all on the treadmill @ 1% incline.  My first run at this pace since last October when I hurt my ITB.  At first it felt too fast,  but then by the fourth rep of so I "got into a rhythm" and felt pretty good.  I'm happy to be FINALLY doing some faster work.  Dynamic stretching before and after + ITB Rehab routine + Single Leg Deadlifts + Upper body strength + lotsa foam roller and dynamic stretching after.

Thursday - off.  Foam rolling, dynamic stretching.

Friday - 5 miles @ 7:55 pace on W&OD trail.  Dynamic stretching before and after.

Saturday - 3 miles @ 8:15 and skipped the planned strides to help my hamstring "calm down".  Hip flexibility and dynamic stretching + core work + upper body strength

Sunday - 10 miles - Miles 1@ 8:00 pace; Mi 2-5 @ 7:30; Mi 6-9 @ 6:50; Mi 10 @ 8:00.  Hip mobility, dynamic stretching, foam rolling.

Back to higher mileage (low 40's) next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment