Monday, March 2, 2020

Running Log: "Indoor Season" Complete

Hello Runners,

This training week was geared toward prepping for a 2k indoor race on Saturday.

My Monday thru Friday runs were mostly just easy running, recovering from last week and tapering for Saturday's race.

No real "workout" this week.  Tuesday, I did some "extended" strides (30" - 45") around mile pace.  But, my legs felt pretty dead; I feel like I've been on the verge of training too much the last couple of weeks.

So, after Tuesday I ran only 'Easier / Recovery" miles heading into the 2k on Saturday.

2k Race / "Indoor Season" Summary
With my race on Saturday; I completed my "Indoor Season" which consisted of two days on track.

January 19th I ran a 3k; followed by a 1500; followed by 4 x 400 relay.  In each of those races I ran slower than I expected; I attributed it to the 'newness' of an indoor track and doing 3 races in one day.

Saturday, in the 2k I also ran slower than I expected; a time of 6:58.  I thought I was in shape to run around 6:45.  Looking back on the race; I realized there's a skill to running on a small 200m track (the track we raced on had only 3 lanes for most of it; with 6 lanes on the 'start / finish' straight). 

I realized after the race that I tend to 'settle into' a pack and 'go out conservative'.  The result is that I spend the first half of the race going too slow, and I don't have a kick to make up for it later.  Because of how we are 'seeded' on the start line, it's natural for me to let the faster guys on the inside lanes get out in front of me and 'settle in' with the guys immediately around me.  If those guys run at my best pace alls good; but that hasn't happened yet in my three races.  By the time I move around and push the pace I've lost time.  This is not a big deal in a 5k; but when you're doing 10 laps of 200m there's less time to make this decision.  In the back of my mind in all three races I was afraid I was going to die prior to the finish - but each time I had a small kick and didn't lose pace.

Lesson - "Be more aggressive - get out there at my pace and drop these guys"; or if they hang and want to work with me at my pace - good.  (An alternative would be for me to submit an estimated finish time faster than I think I can do; get on the inside for the start and hang on for dear life).

But alas, the indoor season is over - maybe I'll be able to take lesson into next Winter.


Weekly Totals:

  • Miles: 55
  • Workout:  None.
  • Race: 2k on indoor banked track.
  • Long Run:  18 SLR

Daily:

  • Monday: 7.5 miles (60') Easy with Strides.  Hip/core maintenance work.
  • Tuesday: 7.6 miles (60') with Extended Strides at mile pace.  Legs feeling DEAD.
  • Wednesday: 6 miles Easy - actually really Easy.  50'.  Extra foam rolling / mobility.
  • Thursday: 5 miles Super Easy.  Foam roll / stretch.
  • Friday: 4 mile Shakeout; Strides.
  • Saturday: 6 miles total with 2k Race.
  • Sunday: 18 mile SLR

Next Sunday I'm racing a 10k put on by the DCRRC at Ft. Hunt in Alexander.  I've heard it's 5 laps of 1.25 miles each.  Giddy up.

Onward.

No comments:

Post a Comment