Monday, March 23, 2020

Training Log Week Ending March 22 - Everyhing's Cancelled

Hello Runners.

Yeah - you all know the story....everything's cancelled (that is...all races are cancelled).

And...I'm working from home, as most people are.

How has this changed by training and overall running outlook?

Training:
  • I had a half planned for March 28, and a 10 mile race on April 4.
  • I had been doing workouts to gear up for those races.
  • I was excited because I just set a 10k PR, and thought I could lower my half and 10 mile PR's this Spring as well.
  • I don't do well running without a race on the horizon - I like to have something to 'shoot for'.  It's not the only reason I run, but I like to have a reason / target for my weekly workout.  Without a race, I don't feel focused.
  • My Team has scheduled a Team Time Trial on April 4.
    • It's a chance for us to go to a track and time each other while we run in circles.
    • I'm going to take the opportunity to see what I can do on a track 5k with a bunch of goofs (like me) yelling at me to 'speed up / don't slow down' every 400 meters.
    • I'll convert my recent 10k time, and see what I can do.
  • So, this gives my training purpose for now...
  • I do most of my training solo, except for weekends with a couple friends, so that is no different really.
Running Outlook:
  • I gotta say - working from home has given me time to train and sleep more.
  • I'm saving 90 minutes a day in commute, and I can run mid-day now if I feel like it.
  • My alarm clock is set TWO AND HALF HOURS later then when I need to commute to work and get my run/strength work done before my 8:00 start time.
    • That's hella nice.
  • I'm learning to appreciate the quiet roads and trails around my house. 
  • My running mileage is the same / up from 'normal' but I'm feeling more rested/recovered than ever.

Weekly Summary:
  • Miles: 61 
  • Workout: 3 x 1k in 3:36 (400 jog recovery) + 4 x 300 in 1:00 (200 recovery)
  • Long Run: 14.6 miles at Manassas Battlefield trails.   

Daily:
  • Monday: 6 miles Recovery (10 am run).  Foam roll/mobility.
  • Tuesday:  7.5 miles Easy with Strides.  Hip/core maintenance.  Foam roll/mobility.
  • Wednesday: 9 miles with 3xk + 4x300.  Big leg strength (shrug bar deadlift/hamstring curl/calf raise/band side walk).
  • Thursday: 6 miles Recovery (2pm) .
  • Friday: 7.8 Easy with Hill Repeats.
  • Saturday: 14.8 Miles on Trails (2 hours).  Fell TWICE causing others to wonder if "that old guy trying to run is okay".
  • Sunday: 10 miles Easy on C&O - which is not PAVED

Be safe out there people.  Onward.

No comments:

Post a Comment