Sunday, February 26, 2017

Running Log Week Ending Feb. 26 (TWO weeks till marathon)

TWO weeks to go.  This is my last week before I go into full taper mode.  Mileage is cut back some, but still about 50 mpw.

Started off the week feeling pretty good.  Monday's run felt really easy and fluid.  But after Tuesday's workout and 70' run on Wednesday I started to feel a little worn out, and both my IT Bands felt a little "tight".  IT Band is my "go to" injury, so I took Thursday off from running and did an easy spin on the bike in the gym.  Friday, the IT Band thing had calmed down, but I was still feeling a little "flat".

Possibly related(?) - my "Easy day" pace increase - I run all my easy days based on feel.  I try to make sure I stay fully conversational, and pay attention to my breathing and how my legs feel.  The last few weeks, the pace I end up running is a little faster.  It's come down from 8:00 or 7:50 pace to around 7:40 pace.  I think this is good.  Could be better fitness, or that I'm cutting back some on the more challenging workouts.   Could be that I'm running so many miles @ MP, that what "seems" easy is actually a little harder?  I'm going to chalk it up to better fitness, and roll with it.

Tuesday Workout -  Assignment is11 miles:  2 wu; 4@MP; 1@ HMP; 3@MP; 1 cd.  I did the same workout a few weeks ago on the treadmill, set at 1% incline.  In that workout, I did the MP work @ 6:49, and the HMP @ 6:31, and it felt kinda hard.  This week I did the workout on the WOD in the Herndon area - which is NOT flat.  Going in, I worried some about how to adjust on the "not so flat" route.  I found that I was able to (relatively) comfortably average 6:40 on the MP miles, and 6:28 for the HMP mile.  The slight downhill miles were (of course) a little easier, but I found I was pretty much able to "hold pace" on the slight uphill miles as well.  Pretty happy with the run, confidence builder.  The only thing I'm being cautious is - going too fast - and possibly working too hard on these runs.  My planned MP is 6:48, but the last couple MP runs have been closer to 6:40 - strictly going by how it feels.

Saturday Long Run - 14 miles, 7 @ MP on C and O canal tow path.   I made the mistake of not thinking this run would be a hard effort.   it is easier than the last couple of weeks, but the temp was up some and I ended up running the MP work into about a 10 mph head wind.   I avg 6:42 for the MP miles, but my pacing was inconsistent - 6:28 to 6:50.   I still tend to over correct and pick up the pace too much or slowing down too much, I guess it's a process.

Overall, the week is slightly down in mileage - a sorta / kinda "recovery" week.  Not really too exciting.

 Weekly mileage:  49 (+ 30 min bike spin + 3 mi walk)

Long Run: 14

Weight: 139

Dailies

Monday - 57' E w/strides on WOD.  Felt okay.  7.5 mi (7:35 pace).  Felt pretty good.  Core work.

Tuesday - 11 miles:  2 wu; 4@MP; 1@ HMP; 3@MP; 1 cd. on WOD.  MP/HMP pace (6:39/6:40/6:35/6:42/6:28/6:38/6:46/6:37).  Felt pretty good.  Strength work.  Rolling and stretching.

Wednesday - 70' E on WOD.  Nice morning.  Easy run.  Felt "eh".  9.2 mi (7:40).  Hip mobility.  Not too sore / tired from yesterday's run....

Thursday - OFF.  Bicycle cross-training.  Both IT Bands feeling tight.  Not a big concern yet, but being cautious.  Just spinning on the bike for 30 minutes. Core work.  Rolling and hip mobility stuff.  IT Band, for me could be a problem when my hips are tight.

Friday - 55' E on WOD.  Beautiful warm morning.  Feeling a little more rested and the "Tight IT Band" thing has gone away.  Phew!  7.3 mi / 7:40 pace.  Rolling / stretching / hip mobility.

Saturday - 14 miles, 7 @ MP.   Overall pace 6:57.  MP avg 6:42.  ( pretty bad pacing). Strength.  IT rehab.

Sunday - walk.    3 mi walk.    Lotsa rolling and stretching.  Some core work.

Onward and upward.....

No comments:

Post a Comment