Sunday, July 3, 2016

Training Log - Week Ending July 3

With my first Half Marathon last Sunday, this week started out really EASY.

And...I'm going to run A 5K July 4 (Monday).

So....my guiding principle this week is the Hippocratic Oath: "First, do no harm".  Recover from the half and do my best to get to the 5k uninjured and feeling the best possible.

My legs were feeling shot on Monday and  Tuesday, so really held back on the effort.  Monday was more walking / jogging than really running.

With the 5k on July 4, I used my Wednesday workout to get my legs moving at 5k speed, but not too much work since I'm still recovering from the half.   Then, Thursday - Sunday was more by how I felt each day and not doing more than I'm ready for.  Sort of regretting scheduling a 5k eight days after a half marathon.  But, it's all new experiences for me, and I'm having fun, so we'll see how it goes!

So, did the best I could to get my legs recovered as much as possible for the race tomorrow.  I slowly started feeling better day by day.  By today's run, which is really just getting loose for tomorrow's race and doing a couple strides, I'm feeling "okay".  We'll see how it goes tomorrow.  The weather forecast for the race start tomorrow is 68F and 90% humidity.  Looks like it will probably rain a few hours before race start...so it's probably going to be a tough one!  Look for my race report tomorrow.

Overall, kind of a funky week  with recovery and planning for a 5k on a Monday.

Weekly Mileage:  27
Long Run:  N/A
Weight: 140


Daily Workouts (Hard workouts bolded)

Monday - 30 minutes of EASY running with interspersed walking.  My legs felt pretty bad.  Losta dynamic stretching, hip mobility stuff, and foam rolling.  Treadmill in case I just wasn't feeling it half way through.  3.1 miles.....yeah really easy with walking.

Tuesday - 50 40 minutes easy including strides.  Quite slow, about 8:45 pace (4.5 mi) which felt much harder.  Still hurtin from the half on Sunday - as expected.  Upper body strength.  stretching and rolling.

Wednesday - 10 6 miles with 4 x 2' @ 5k pace (5:55) with 2' jogging recovery (10:00 pace) on treadmill @ 1% incline.  Cut down on my planned 10 miles, as my legs are still tired, but the work at 5k pace didn't feel that bad.  ITB rehab work.  No leg strength work.  Core work.  (total time running:  47 minutes)

Thursday - 35 minutes easy running on WOD trail.  4.2 miles (8:15 pace).  Still not feeling recovered from Sunday's race and the workout yesterday.  More like a "recovery run" today.  Stretching and rolling.  Hip mobility work.

Friday - 45 minutes easy.  WOD trail.5.6 mi (8:10 pace).  Little "pick up" at the end.  I want to say I'm recovering....could be more hope than actual......Stretching and rolling. 

Saturday - OFF.  Following my routine of taking the second day before a race off.

Sunday - 25 minutes easy including strides.  Rolling stretching, hip mobility.  3.2 miles (8:10 pace)

No comments:

Post a Comment