Monday, February 3, 2020

Training Log Update: I Ran A 10k

Hello Runners.

10k Race

In keeping with my theme of trying new things in 2020; I ran a 10k yesterday.  On a course I've run before, and distance a run a number of times.  So - what's different about this 10k?  Well, I decided on Thursday - three days prior - to run it.  A team mate of my mine was running the race and I decided to join, with an extended cool down to replace the LR miles I now wouldn't so on Saturday.

Usually for every race I run, even the local low low-key races, I plan ahead and work out my schedule for two weeks prior to the race.  Because EVERY race was an event, something to really be prepared for, and always do my best. 

The course I ran is pretty hilly, and not set up for fast times; but we had pretty good weather.  Except for not running my LR the day before, I did no taper or any other planning.  My last workout was on Wednesday.

So - how did the race go?  Well - pretty much how I think it would have gone had I planned for it two weeks ahead of time.  I ran 38:45; which for me is pretty good on the course.  My plan was to go out at 6:10 pace and see what happens.  What happened was I died on mile 5, then had a nice recovery on the last 1.2 to end up about 15 seconds slower than I was hoping for.

Do I think building up for "big races" and planning ahead is useful?  Yes, of course; especially for longer races.  But, for me I now feel some freedom that I can "jump into" local 5k/10k and not have to worry about having to be carted off because my taper wasn't great.

New experience.  Check.

Another new experience - I just signed up to ran a 2k at a local HS indoor track in a few weeks.  Why 2k; because I've never run one before or been on a 'banked indoor track'.  What the hell, let's see what happens!

Two weeks' worth of training below:

Week ending Jan. 26th

Mileage: 57 miles.
Workout:  N/A. Since I ran a 3k and 1500 last Sunday.
Long Run:  14 with 2/2mi at HM effort.  1 mile Easy between. (6:21 avg.  A lot of it downhill)
Comment:  Adding more hamstring strength work.  I think the hammies are an issue when trying to run faster / maintain a fast pace.  They seem to "go first" when something's going to start bothering me.

Week ending Feb. 2nd

Mileage: 49
Workout: CV and 3k Reps on Wednesday.
Long Run: NA
Race: 38:45 10k on Sunday  (12 miles total for the day with Warm Up and Cool Down).


This week I'll get the mileage back up some and skip the mid-week workout to recover from the 10k.  I'll add in some harder effort on the weekend long run.

Onward.



No comments:

Post a Comment