Saturday, August 26, 2017

Breaking3ProjectPhilly - Week 6 (Rehab)

Hello Runners.

So...yeah...rehab week.  After the DNF in last Sunday's Leesburg 20k I've spent most of this week doing rehab / strength / stretches for the medial glute.  (For the record, I ran 6 miles at 6:35 pace...net 200 ft. uphill...and aerobically I felt fine...so I have (had) some fitness).   At 6 miles, the right medial glute just suddenly hurt like the dickens, and that was it.

So....no running this week.....

I've taken this opportunity to do some extra strength / stretching other running muscles (hamstring, main glute, calves, etc.).

Monday / Tuesday - heat; cold, strength work being careful not to over do it on the medial glute.  Find the right amount of effort to rehab, but not hurt it more.  Pressure point work (baseball on the spots that hurt), and lotsa foam rolling twice daily.

Wednesday - heavier strength work.  Found a good stretch band exercise to target the medial glute.  30 minutes on stupid stationary bike.

Thursday / Friday - 3 mi "speed walk".  All of above...no problem with hip / butt during the walks that are about 15 minute pace.

Saturday - 3 mile "test run".  Jog / walk as needed.  First mile was good, around 8:30 pace.  Then, resorted to walk / jog the last 2 miles.  No sharp pain, but definitely still "there".  About where I was before I stupidly ran the Leesburg 20k on Sunday.  I "could" have run 4-5 miles today or more without any sharp pain, BUT that would be stupid and I'd be taking myself backward with the injury.

So...that's my sad update this week....

It's just running, and only a small part of my life.  But...man...this sucks!

Hope all you are doing well....and are on target for your Fall races!

1 comment:

  1. You're doing all the right things. I hope it continues to improve!

    ReplyDelete