This week I'm gearing toward a 4 mile race and a 5k. So, instead of a LR on Saturday I did a 5k workout. AND...my Son's HS graduation was on Tuesday - so that became an off day. College locked and loaded (thank you 529 Plan...ooopff!)
AND...my daughter asked me to run a 5k with her today (Father's Day) - so the emphasis this week is family....and it's been very gratifying.
Since Tuesday is an off day, I increased a my mileage a little on Monday and ran a pretty hilly route, to give me a 'mini-workout', and moved my Tempo workout from Tuesday to Wednesday.
Wednesday's Tempo - Plan was 5 x 6' @ tempo w/ 2' jog recoveries. Got through 4 repeats and called it quits. It was really hot and humid. Still a good workout - I'll call "heat acclimation".
Saturday AFTERNOON workout on the track - since I'm racing next Saturday at 7:30 PM I thought it would be a good idea to do my workout this week in the late afternoon to mimic conditions next week. I've never run any run at all after noon before - ever. So, I wasn't sure how my stomach, etc would handle it. (I had a normal lunch around noon, a small snack around 3p and started my warm-up around 6p). Despite being really hot and humid, everything was fine. My workout was 2x1200; 3x800; 1x400; 1x200 w / 400 jog recoveries except after the 400 I did a 200 jog recovery. The 1200's and 800's were around 5k pace (4:27 / 4:25 / 3:01 / 2:58 / 2:57). The 400 and 200 I ran faster, almost all out (1:22 / :39). Happy with the paces considering it was 90 degrees and really humid.
Sunday 5k race (Run with Dad) with my daughter....(jog / walk...in place of my normal Sunday recovery walk) She is getting into running, but still in the jog / walk phase. Nice to spend the morning with her! "Before" pic below (butt photo bomb - bonus!).
Weekly Mileage: 42
Long Run: N/A
- Monday: 10.3 mi around house with lotsa hills. Strength work, core, ITB rehab stuff.
- Tuesday: OFF. HS graduation.
- Wednesday: 8 miles with 4 x 6' @ tempo / 2' jog recovery.
- Thursday: 5.5 miles easy / recovery. roll and stretch.
- Friday: 60' E on WOD. 7.5 mi. Myrtle. Core
- Saturday: Track. 2x1200, 3x800, 1x400, 1x200. (4:27 / 4:25 / 3:01 / 2:58 / 2:57 / 1:22 / :39) w/400 jog recovery in around 2:30 (except 200 recovery after 400). 11 mi total with wu and cd.
- Sunday: "Run with Dad" Father's Day 5k. Jog / walk with my Pnut. Strength / ITB rehab.