Sunday, April 23, 2017

Running Log Week Ending April 23 - GW Parkway 10 Miler!

The big news this week is my first 10 mile race - the GW Parkway 10 miler.  Full race report published earlier today with the label 'Race Report', but the punch line is I ran it in 1:03:06. 

So, the rest of the work this week was to taper some and get in some "speed work" to get me ready for "10 mile pace".....

 
Tuesday's workout - 6 x (2' Fast / 2' Steady).  The idea was to get in some speed work and a sustained effort without over-doing it.  I ran this on an "up and down" section of WOD.  My pace on the "Fast" portion averaged about 6:17 pace...slightly faster than my "planned" 10 mile pace of 6:25.  "Steady" pace averaged a little faster than 7:00.  Total run was about 8 miles, and I ended it feeling pretty good.   

The rest of the week was easy runs - tapering - with strides thrown in so the legs don't "forget" what fast
feels like.

I got sick Thursday night and was up "tossing my cookies" and not getting any sleep.  Stayed home from work Friday and rested up, taking meetings, etc. on the phone.  I usually have a time each race week when I "don't feel well".  I'm sure it's usually psychological - but this one was real.   I had already scheduled Friday as an off day, so good coincidence.  By Friday night was back to normal.

Weekly Mileage: 40
Long Run:  N/A.  10 mile RACE.
Weight: 139

For the week - I feel like I've "successfully" recovered from a marathon (which ended horribly), without injury...and did what I could to prep for a 10 mile race.  I've had really tight and (sometimes) sore hips, but extra rolling and dynamic stretching seems to have kept the "issue" limited.  Learning and I go....
  Daily Work:
  • Monday:  40' E on WOD with strides.  5.1 miles.  Rolling and stretching.
  • Tuesday:  8 miles on WOD with 6 x (2' Hard / 2' Steady).  Hard efforts ranged from 6:08 - 6:30 on a hilly route.  (Avg:  6:17).  Steady pace little faster than 7:00.  Hip mobility. Rolling and stretching.
  • Wednesday:  50' E on WOD.  5.7 miles....legs a little flat....
  • Thursday: 40' E on WOD. Trying out new Nike Streak LT3s.  Possible shoe for Sunday's race.
  • Friday: OFF.  
  • Saturday - 30' E w / strides.. rolling.  stretching.  resting.
  • Sunday:  12 miles.  1 mi wu.  RACE: GW Parkway 10 miler.in 1:03:06.  1 mi cd.  Drinking. Eating. Drinking. Eating.  Watch the London Marathon.  Napping. Eating.  Sleeping. 
Onward.....

No comments:

Post a Comment