Monday, December 9, 2019

Training Log - Week Ending Dec. 8th - Three Weeks Post Marathon

Hello Runners,

Thoracic Mobility Anyone?

This week I learned a new term "Thoracic Mobility".  I also learned it's fun to say; and I don't have enough of it.

I've gone to the PT a couple times now to address my tight (hurt?) SI Joint / lower back.  The working conspiracy theory is my injury is a result tight "QL" back muscles and lack of "Thoracic Mobility"; it also appears my hamstrings, piriformis, and TFL muscles have gotten in on the attack of the SI Joint/lower back. 

The course of action to resolve this conspiracy is to beat the antagonists into submission using lacrosse balls; a peanut (two lacrosse balls taped together); and a hard rubber foam roller.  Once they are mashed into submission, then I twist and contort to "stretch them out" and increase mobility, then strengthen the weak hammies and piriformis muscles.  Then, voila! - these menaces no longer pull the SI joint/lower back in different directions, and I'm pain free!

After three sessions of this at the PT using his thumbs/elbows/knees squishing and 'palpating' my lower back; plus daily assigned strength/foam roll/stretch sessions and it's getting better.  (And -  thoracic mobility is still fun to say).

Recovery Still

This is my 3rd week 'post-marathon' and I got in 5 runs, totaling 38 miles - all easy running.  I'm starting to feel almost back to normal, but I can tell the Easy paces I'm used to still feel harder than pre-race. I expected at least 3 weeks of 'Recovery', so this is fine.  I did a couple hill repeats on Wednesday to get the heart pumping and joined AARC (Ashburn Area Running Club) for a Saturday jaunt (trying to be more Social - it really does help / and makes running more fun).  Shout out to KG, Eddie, Rebecca, Mike, Paul, and the whole crew.

Hey, I Won A Major Award!

In other news - I get an Age Group award after all from the Richmond Marathon.  I finished 4th in my Age Group (50-54) and assumed only 1st thru 3rd get an award, and I missed out by one spot.  But, low and behold, 1st - 5th place get an award!  I was notified it will be mailed to me in mid-January.....so that's REALLY nice.  I don't know what it is - until is shows up, I'll ass-u-me it's $1,000 cash.....  :)

Onward....

No comments:

Post a Comment