Monday, December 23, 2019

Training Log - Week Ending Dec. 22nd

Hello Runners.

This week continues the "Build back up" phase of my running.  5 weeks post marathon on Dec. 21st.

I'm sticking with the Tuesday workout / Saturday LR schedule, using the rest of the week for easy mileage with some Strides thrown in.  I've felt surprisingly good this week.  Soreness / back ache have all subsided, so I've "given myself permission" to keep moving forward with a little heavier workout and longer LR.

Tuesday Workout:
Workout was 25' @ LT pace (using Daniels LT pace of what you can run for an hour).  I purposely reset by watch for the Tempo section of the run so I could check on my pace, since last week going by feel didn't work well; I ran way too fast.  So instead, this week I used my watch to track my pace and my ego took over and I "ran too fast" again. 
During my marathon build up, my rough LT pace was about 6:20, I could hold it pretty easily (well -  you know, how Tempo feels).  This week I ran the segment in 6:23 and I had to take a couple standing rests.  So, I'm sure I ran it too fast.  Wasn't really a 25' Tempo, but more a 10' , then 10', then 5' repeat session with 30 seconds standing rest.  I'm guessing my Tempo pace is actually around 6:30.  This tells me two things; I'm not in shape like I was before the race (duh), and I'm not willing to slow down to run the correct workout.  My fundamental issue is NOT pacing myself based on "where I am now".  Something to consider - check my ego and do the damn workout as intended.  Easy, right?

Saturday LR:
Went for the hills this week for the Long Run.  13.3 miles with 1250' of gain (and descent).  I ran with a couple of friends on a fun dirt / gravel road.  Usually I coast on the downhills and 'work' going up.  This time around I kept the 'going up' part in check and bombed the downhills (well - bombed is an big exaggeration, but I did go faster than normal).  Fun day.

For a change this week, I did a short 3 mile run at a very easy pace on Sunday.  Usually I walk on Sunday, but this week I thought I'd try a short run.  We'll see how it goes....maybe I'll run or walk based on how I feel each week going forward....


Dailies:
  • Monday:  7.2 miles easy (about an hour).  Hip / core maintenance.
  • Tuesday: 8.3 miles workout.  Big Hip / Leg strength movements.
  • Wednesday: 9 mile MLR.  Faser end of "Easy" pace.  Hip / core maintenance 
  • Thursday: 4 miles recovery.  Roll / stretch (on TM, not feeling it)
  • Friday: same as Monday.
  • Saturday:  13.3 miles with lotsa climbing.  Big strength hip/leg exercises.
  • Sunday: 3.3 recovery miles.  Extra roll/stretch.
  • Total Miles: 52
Upcoming:  I'm thinking of running a local 5k on New Year's just to get the year started off on a good note.  Rust buster....

Merry XMas Everyone! I hope Santa brings you everything on your list....

No comments:

Post a Comment