Monday, January 6, 2020

Weekly Training Log: I Ran A New Year's Day 5k

Hello Runners,

Happy New Decade Everyone!

5k Race

Well - I kicked off the new decade, with a 5k on New Year's Day.  Very low key event in Ashburn, and it was a 'last minute' decision.  I surprised myself by running 18:25; a 16 second PR!  It was a small turnout, I ended running by myself the last 2 miles, and came in 4th overall.  Conditions were good - about 40 degrees, but with about a 10 mph wind.  The first mile was downhill and with the wind; the last mile was uphill and against the wind; my mile splits definitely reflect the difference!

Did I really PR?  I'm going to count the time as official even tho my Garmin says I only ran 3.0 miles.  Other runners Strava data indicates 3.05 or so.  I've been told the course is 'certified', and used for other 5k's throughout the year.  But, if I do find out that the course was short I'll revert back to my old PR until I have another shot at it.  Usually my Garmin/Strava data shows courses as slightly long, so it does seem a little strange....but the race was run by PR (Potomac River) who are a reputable company and administer a lot of races - so I'm counting it! (until otherwise notified).  Also - reviewing the course route, we started and ended in an industrial park between two buildings.  I think that is the section not caught by GPS.

Interesting Side Note:  McMillan Running Calculator, based on today's 5k, puts me within one second of my marathon time 7 weeks ago. The marathon was also slightly hilly and run in very similar weather conditions.  I think I know where to go when planning pacing for other distances....

Long Run:  14 with Eddie and Josh.  Two at Tempo.

Weekly Mileage: 53
Workout: 5k Race (Wednesday)
Long Run:  14, last 2 Tempo (Sunday)


Daily:
  • Monday: 8.3 Easy around the house, hilly with gravel and dirt.  Hip/core maintenance.
  • Tuesday: 4.3 Shakeout - Easy with some strides.  Roll and stretch.
  • Wednesday: 5k Race in 18:25 + 5.5 warm-up/cooldown.  Roll and stretch.
  • Thursday: 5 miles Recovery.  Upper body strength.
  • Friday: 8 miles Easy.  Hip/core maintenance
  • Saturday: 5 miles Recovery in mud and muck, trying out trail shoes.  Hip/core maintenance.
  • Sunday: 14 with the Boys, last 2 Tempo.  Big hip/leg strength.
 Onward....

No comments:

Post a Comment