Monday, January 13, 2020

Training Log: Week Ending Jan. 12th

Hey Runners.

Weekly update - this week is geared toward peaking for a track meet on Jan. 19th.

I plan to run a 3k; 1500 and one leg of a 4x400 relay on Jan. 19th at an indoor track meet, the '2020 USATF South East Region Masters Indoor Track and Field Championship' (a very descriptive name indeed).  My FIRST ever track race, and my first time even seeing a 200m track in person.

So - I've geared this weeks' Workout to faster paces, and replaced Saturday's LR with some time on the track in prep for the meet next weekend.

Wednesday Workout - CV/3k/Mile Paces
We had snow around my house Tuesday night, and I had a workout planned for Wednesday.  To avoid slipping, I did the work on the Treadmill @ 0.5% incline. (Even with the incline I think the TM is a little easier than on the road/track)....
I did a modified Tinman workout:
  • 4 x 4' @ CV (6:11 pace) with 90" jog
  • 3 x 2' @ 3k pace (5:36) with 90" jog
  • 3 x 1' @ mile pace (5:18) with 60" jog
  • 3' jog between each set (jogs at 8:30 pace)
 The workout was manageable.  I didn't feel like I was on the edge or that it was huge effort.

Saturday on the Track:   
Since I will be in a track meet next Sunday, I thought I should at least get on a track once before "The big day".  I did a workout that was a mini-version of the race schedule next weekend.
  • 2 x 1k @ 3k pace in 3:28 avg with 400 jog.  In Next %.  Pretty bouncy, but fun.
    • I did a third rep, but pulled the plug after 400m.  The effort was getting too hard.
    • The intention is not to exhaust myself with only 8 days till races.
  • 4 x 300 @ mile pace in :59 avg with 200 jog in 1:00.  In spikes (first time ever wearing spikes)
    • This felt pretty comfortable, like a could have done a few more without pressing too hard.
  • 2 x 200 @ 400m pace in :35 average.  Also in spikes.  It was fun to run that fast.
    • My hamstrings did NOT like it.  But, just sore.  Fun to really get moving.
 Total mileage of 12.4 for the day including warm-up and cool down.
 

Weekly Mileage: 51
Workout:  CV / mile paces
Track workout in place of long run.

Dailies:

  • Monday:  Recovery (LR yesterday).  6.2 miles...super easy pace.  Upper Body strength.
  • Tuesday:  Easy + Strides.  7.2 miles.  Hip/core maintenance.
  • Wednesday: CV / 3k / Mile...8 miles with details above.
  • Thursday: Recovery. 5 miles Easy on snowy grass.  Foam roll/stretch.
  • Friday: Easy + Strides.  7.5 miles. Hip/core maintenance.
  • Saturday: Track.  3k/mile/400m pace reps. 
  • Sunday: Recovery jog.  4 miles.  Core maintenance.

Onward.

No comments:

Post a Comment