Saturday, November 16, 2019

Marathon Race Report - Richmond Marathon

Today I ran my 2nd marathon - Richmond Marathon in Virginia.

I finished in a time of 2:59:26, achieving my goal of ‘Sub-3’.  I’m proud of the effort, and finished 4th in my age group (50-54).

 In my 1st marathon I was on pace to run about 3:00 until I completely bonked / hamstring cramps / calf cramps at mile 23.   I ended up walking / shuffling in with a time of 3:23.   I studied up on the marathon, got advice, and made a number of changes in prep for today’s race.  I don’t know if any one of these things on their own made much of a difference, but combined I think I came into today’s race stronger / smarter / and more prepared.

I’ve been fighting a slight cold all week and been consistently taking DayQuil / NyQuil since last weekend.   I also developed a really bad tightness in my lower back just around the belt line this week.  I don’t know what I did, but it’s been hurting pretty good.  It was tight and sore the whole race, but (apparently) didn’t slow me down any.   Despite these nuisances, I  was feeling pretty good.

Changes in marathon prep from the first race:
1. Strength Work - I increased my glute, hamstring, calf workout after every Workout/Long run.
2. MP Work - I increased the length of MP during my long runs, topping out at 12 miles of MP during an 18 mile run 21 days before the race.   I also did a 9-10 miles at MP on my week day workout with a couple of those at HMP.
3. Overall mileage increase - my weekly mileage was slightly up.  I topped out at 64 miles, last cycle was 60.
4. Carbo loading - starting 4 days before the race I ate four things: spaghetti with meat sauce / baked potatoes / peanut butter and jelly bagels / and a cold oats concoction with flax seed, blueberries, and
almond milk for breakfast.    My biggest meals were 2-3 days before the race, day before was smaller meals so I wouldn’t be stuffed race morning.

Race strategy changes:
1. Pacing - This time around I followed the 3:00 pacers thru 25 miles.   In my first race there wasn’t a 3:00 pace group and I went out way too fast.   By following the pacers I was able to keep a very consistent pace.   I mantra thru 22 miles was ‘relax and be patient’.   If I felt good at 22 I would pull ahead.   I stayed thru 25.

It was pretty windy the whole race, with winds of 15-20 mph the whole time.  Tucking in the pace group helped a lot I think.   I had folks in front and beside me almost all the time.  I tried to take energy from the group as well, and it provided me something else to focus on besides how I’m feeling.  Our pacers did a fantastic job taking us thru exactly on plan, one less thing for me to worry about.

2. Fueling - I carried a water bottle that holds 12 oz.  I filled it with Gatorade and sipped on it throughout the race - at least every couple hrs.   I little past half way I stopped briefly at a water station and had the volunteers refill it - I pulled slightly ahead of the group going in so it was easy to latch back on with a full bottle.   I also took 6 gels during the race (10’ before start and at miles 5,10,15,20,23).   I was still hurting pretty good at mile 24, but I stayed aware of my surroundings and was thinking well, one of the main benefits of good fueling.

How I was feeling / the course:

1. The first half  - Richmond is a rolling course course, and the pace setters said at the start they were going to ‘Keep 6:52 pace” regardless- this means a little more effort going up and recovery going
down.   I would have preferred a more even effort than pace, but the group protection from the wind made up for it.   Really nothing to report - which is good - just rolling along and comfortable.   We hit the timing mat at almost exactly 1:30.

2. 14-20:   There is a pretty good size incline crossing the river at miles 16-17 I had been anticipating since the start-and it was straight into the wind.  I got up it okay, with a little extra huffing and puffing.  But then around mile 18 my left hamstring started to twitch - which scared me since a hamstring cramp stopped me in my tracks last time.  But I was able to hold pace.  We hit mile 20 exactly on 3:00 pace.

3. 21-25: At mile 21 we finally turned down wind and had a mostly flat / downhill to the finish.   I had the thought at mile 22 to pull ahead of the 3:00 group, but as soon as I tried to speed up I could feel both hamstrings complain.  So I stayed with the group which was pretty small by now.  At mile 24 I started working pretty hard and counting the minutes to the finish.   I was pretty much all out to maintain pace.

25-finish: when we passed the mile 25 sign I could see the finish and it was all downhill.   So, I decided to pull ahead and see what I could do.   I only gained about 15 seconds but I did leave it all out there.  

Still can’t believe I did it.  It has been a goal for three years and it finally came together.  

Now a few weeks off.

Onward




No comments:

Post a Comment