Monday, April 30, 2018

Starting to Build It Back Up - Running Blog - April 30 2018

Hello Runners.

Kipchoge - Dude's incredible, another marathon win in London.  I liked his comment in the press room after the London marathon.  He said "In marathon you don't have to drop other runners, the pace will drop them" (I think I got that, right).  I'm sure his quote is true when your pace is 4:45 / mile.  Reminds me of watching the 10k US Olympic trials when Molly Huddle ran exact even splits every 400 until there was nobody around her at the end...."the pace dropped them".

As for me.....

So - for me this week I'm continuing to slowly add mileage and speed work as I get back in shape from my long injury hiatus.   After cutting back some last week, I'm pretty much picking up where I left off - which means a "workout" on Tuesday and longer run on Saturday.  I've also added strides to a couple of my easy days.

The fitness is coming around.  But really, I'm just happy to be able to run without any pain.  Having no races in the near future also "allows" me to relax and let the fitness come to me whenever it happens.  Sometime in January, when I had a "set back" I decided "I shalt not schedule a race in the Spring".  And, I'm forcing myself to stick to that plan.  It's quite "freeing" in that competitive, Type A, runner, kind of way.

Tuesday's Workout: This week was my first workout on the roads.  All prior have been on a TM to "control" my pace and keep a sure footing.  Also, if something doesn't "feel right" I can just step off and evaluate - no need for a long walk back.  So...this week I ventured out for a 40' Progression Run (60' total run including wu and cd).  The idea was to progress in pace - 20 minutes steady; 10' faster; 5' faster; 5' faster still.  All paces by feel.  Good workout - but a reminder that I need to "re-learn" how to run by feel.  Went out too fast for the first part of the first 20' section, had to re-adjust.  But, after that it went okay.  Felt really good to get my heart and legs really going and really do some work.  The best part - my legs are feeling where they are "supposed to", no pain from the injuries.

Saturday Long Run:  Ran 10 miles this week.  First time running in the "double digits" in 9 months.  Felt good - but I "over-cooked" it on the pace.  I got excited about feeling good, and just went out too fast.  I was "feeling it" for the rest of the day Saturday and some on Sunday as well. My overall pace was 7:35 which is about the pace of LR's last year.  I'm not back in that shape yet.....

Mileage:  Ran 38 miles this week in 6 runs (all runs except Tuesday and Saturday above were "easy").  After a "down" of 30 miles.  That's the highest mileage so far.  Still feeling good.

Metabolism: Something happened at the end of the week.  In the last couple of days I lost 4 lbs.  I'm sure some of it is water - but still - I had been "stuck" for weeks at about 5 lbs more than I weighted "pre-injury".  My body has decided (I guess) that I'm running again.  The increased hunger occured around the same time :).   I'm going to call it a "sign" that fitness is improving.

Next week:  Keep the mileage about the same.  Tuesday's workout will be some kind of "on / off" repeats.  Go out slower in the LR, and see if I pick up the pace the last few miles.

First priority is still "prehab", and being ever-vigilant to any niggle or tweak...


Onward.....





No comments:

Post a Comment