Monday, April 18, 2016

Training Log - Week Ending April 17 - 8k Race!

Hello Everyone.

I'm in week 16 of my 20 week training cycle.  This week I'm running an 8k which benefits the local HS track teams....nice.  My first 8k, I've only run 5k's in the past (and only five of them).

I'm considering the 8k a "tune-up" race for a 10k I'll be doing in four weeks.  I've also scheduled a 5k in two weeks, which will also be a "tune-up".

Finished the 8k at 31:31 (6:18) on a pretty hilly course. 1st for my age group and 4th overall (small race).   See separate post titled "Race Report:  Loudoun 8k" for all the gory details.


So, this week's weekly mileage is lower than normal, go give my legs some rest in preparation for the race.

Weekly mileage: 27
Long Run:  None
Weight:  137 - down a few pounds, which feels good and maybe makes me faster?


Daily Work:

  • Monday - off.  Glad to have it since I ran 16 miles yesterday.
  • Tuesday - 4 miles on the treadmill with 4 strides.  Felt really stiff when I started, but better after a couple miles.  Core work, foam rolling, dynamic stretching.
  •  Wednesday - 7 miles with 8 x 2:00 @ 8k pace with 2:00 jog rest. Ended up doing the first 4 x 2:00 @ 6:07 pace, and the last 4 x 2:00 @ 6:11 pace....all on the treadmill @ 1% incline.  I plan to run the 8k this weekend around 6:10 pace.  Upper body strength, hip strength, foam rolling, and stretching.
  • Thursday - 5 miles easy on the treadmill.  Stretching.
  •  Friday - off.  Dynamic stretching. Foam rolling.
  • Saturday  - 3 miles easy + 4 strides.
  • Sunday - Loudoun 8k race.  Finished at 31:31 (6:18 pace).   I was hoping for a time under 31:00, but didn't have it today.  The course was quite hilly, and I couldn't seem to pick up the pace on the down hills to get some time back.  I was also a little timid as this is my first race longer than 5k...so I wasn't sure how I would hold up.  2 mi warm-up + 4 strides, 5 mile race, 2 mile cool down. See separate post tagged under 'Racing' titled "Loudoun 8k"

No comments:

Post a Comment