Sunday, April 10, 2016

Training Log - Week Ending April 10

This week is week 15 of my 20 week training plan, ending in a 10k on May 15.

Well, this week started off pretty "sucky", with a sinus infection.  Looking back, I think I've been sick since Saturday last week, I just tried like hell to make it go away by not acknowledging it.  And, it might help explain my poor time trial last Sunday (but, not an excuse).  By  the end of the week I'm feelin better, but not "good".  Hoping I'll continue to get better next week.

I still ran my normal "easy 5 miles" on Monday, but then really felt like shit in the afternoon and slept from 3pm (NyQuil is GREAT), until 5:45 Tuesday morning.  Tuesday, I cut my "6 miles + 4 strides" down to 3 miles easy.  Dunno if "sweating it out" helps, but I do feel kinda' better after working out and taking a warm shower.  Placebo effect?  I did read that if I'm sick from the shoulder up (like head cold), then it's okay to run, but "shoulders down" (like bronchitis) don't run.  I felt like my symptoms called for "going running", but I'm predisposed to think that way....not nearly objective. By Wednesday, my first hard workout of the week, I was feeling somewhat better, and back on track.

I ended up running 45 miles for the week, around my highest weekly total, and completing my longest run ever....so that's good.

Next week is an 8k (my first).  A small race to raise money for a local HS track team.


Total weekly mileage:  45 mi
Long Run:  16 mi
Weight: 137 / 138 lbs - nothing like a cold to help lose a couple pounds!


Daily details:

  • Monday - 5 miles on the treadmill at an easy pace.  Averaged 8:00 pace overall.  Dynamic stretching and foam rolling.
  • Tuesday - PLAN: 6 miles on the treadmill at an easy pace + 4 strides.  I didn't feel well at all on Monday, and cut Tuesday short to just 3 miles easy and hit the shower.  Still not feeling great, but better than yesterday.  Hoping, against hope, that I'll be okay to run my hard workout tomorrow.
  •  Wednesday - 10 miles with 4 @ 4:00 @ 10k pace (6:15) and 4 x 1:30 @ 5k pace (5:55).  This workout went pretty well on the treadmill this morning.  I was able to complete the miles and all the faster paces @ 1% incline (last week I went back and forth on the 10k pace work between 0% and 1%).  Upper body strength work, ITB rehab.
  •  Thursday - off
  •  Friday - 8 miles with 4 x 200 @ 3k pace (5:40) with 200 jog recovery.  I did this on the treadmill, so instead of 200m, I did :45 @ 5:40, which would be slightly longer, with 1:15 @ 10:00 pace for my jog rest.  Dynamic and static stretching.
  •  Saturday - 3.3 miles easy around my neighborhood.  Hip mobility and strength.  Dynamic stretching.  Although yesterday's workout didn't seem that hard, my legs felt a little heavy today.  Took it real easy.
  •  Sunday - 16 miles on W&OD in Leesburg.  Avg pace = 7:24.  Happy about the effort, but feelin it the rest of the day.   ITB rehab routine + upper body strength stuff + stretching and foam rolling.
Next week I'll cut back  on the miles in prep for the 8k race on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment