Tuesday, June 1, 2021

Rece Report: Loudoun Street Mile - Teamwork Does It

Hello Runners.

Yesterday I, along with 11 other Athletics East (AE)  team mates, ran the Loudoun Street Mile in Winchesters, VA.  For a lot of us, this is a race we focus on, and look forward to it each year.

(Big kudos to the organizers of the event, for having a postponed in-person race last year).  This year it returns to the normal schedule of Memorial Day with full award ceremony.  Feels like old times!

Weather

The weather was good.  Low 50's and about a 10mph wind from the left.  The course is a straight line pretty much going North, so the wind was constantly from the same direction.  I took a mental note to draft off the right shoulder of whoever is in front of me, and pass on the right (old cycling habits....).

Corral A! 

Starting last year, the race is run in "Corrals" to limit the number of racers in each heat.  I was put in Corral "C" last year, and was slightly bummed to not be able to run against the fastest men.  This year, however I was upgraded to Corral A "Men Elite".  I would like to hope that is based on the race organizer recognizing my talent and obvious potential.  But, more than likely it was the luck of the draw, or just how many Men signed up (I'm going with the former, makes me feel better).

Strategy

Corral A contained many of my AE Teammates, so we had a chance to work together, and push each other to faster times.  Peter B. (55), Mark N. (59), Jeff D. (61), and me (53) hatched a plan to get some Old Guy awards.  We are all in similar shape - Jeff out-kicked me in a 5k a few weeks ago; Mark and I seem to finish all of our races within a few strides of each other, and Peter is the reigning Grand Master Champ. We decided we would go for "5 low", and Peter is the rabbit (see what I did there) since he has the best resume.  Mark, Jeff, and I would use him to pace the first 800 and then "assess".

I personally thought I could run 5:10.  I ran 4:50 for 1500 last week on a track (with a little kick the last 300m), which is 5:11 pace. I figure hold that pace for another 109 meters, and kick a little at 300 meters like last week, and I got it.  That means about 1:17 - 1:18 per quarter.  The course has quarter mile markers, so I can check in on my pace.

The guys on our 40+ Team (Hasan H; James C; and Mark W) were also in Corral A; but they are all much faster than us.  So, all I said was "Good luck" and watched them run away from me immediately after the the gun went off.  They would all finish in the 4:40's.

And We're Off!

  • First quarter mile is downhill.  
    • We want to get out fast, going by effort this quarter could be as fast as 1:15.
    • Peter gets out HOT, and drops us.  I would guess he has about a 10-20m lead going thru the quarter mile marker.
    • When I go thru I hear a woman calling out times.  I hear "1:15; 1:16" as I run by.
    • Mark and Jeff are right with me, as I eye Peter in the distance.
  • Second quarter is back uphill.
    • Last year I gave back too much time going back up this hill.
    • Mark and I decided we would make sure we push some going back up.
    • I'm also a better uphill runner than downhill (relative to others), so I should "make up some ground on those around me" in theory.
    • As I go through the half way point, the digital clock says 2:34 - 2:35.
    • So - I still gave back a lot of time.  BUT - I'm on 5:10 pace.
    • And - just past halfway I'm back on the shoulder of Peter.  He DID go out a little too hot.
  • Third quarter is down again.
    • In theory, this is the fastest quarter, a section you can make up some time on.
    • I don't know how fast I ran this quarter.  I turned my attention to racing.
    • Peter, Mark, Jeff, and I are charging for home (in that Old Guy way of charging).
  • Fourth quarter - Let's Go!
    • The last quarter of the race flattens out and you can see the finish line for the first time.
    • As we pass the quarter mile marker I pass Peter for the first time.  
      • It was too early, I got too excited.
      • Peter immediately passes me right back and we're kicking for home.
    • With about 250m to go (or so) we get to the bricks of the outdoor mall.
      • This is where Mark passed me last year, and beat me by a step.
      • I know he's there.  So, trying to feel where he is and keep my eyes glued on Peter, staying on his right shoulder.
    • With about 50m to go, I kick again - gradually gaining a few inches with each stride on Peter.
    • I don't actually think I can pass him, but then I DO.
    • In the last 2-3 strides before the line I pass Peter, and come in with a time of 5:10.5.
  • Peter crossed in 5:10.9; Mark in 5:11.2, with Jeff was only a couple steps back.
  • Bang, bang, bang.  Is that fun or what?   

 Results:

  • I ended up running 5:10, the time I thought I had in me.
  • I did it because I had my Team all around pushing me.
  • This time I won, but I'm sure Mark, Peter, and Jeff will take their revenge next time round.

It didn't occur to me at the time, but our little race was actually for the Grand Master Championship (50+).  I am now the Road Runners Club of America (RRCA) Regional Grand Master Champion.  Rumor is there's a check for $10k in mail that goes along with the title.  I'm waiting.....

And Jeff D., who finished a few steps behind me is the Super Grand Master Champion (60+).  Pretty cool to share the award stage with a team mate.

In the last couple races, I've had a little extra gear at the end - I've been able to change speeds just a little better than before.  Credit goes to my AE Coach for giving me some workouts that focus on doing just that - change pace and race when it counts.

Athletics East Medal Count:

  • Athletics East performed well yesterday.  Here's a list of our achievements:
    • Grand Master Champion
    • Super Grand Master Champion
    • 2nd in the 40-44 age group (James C.)
    • 1st and 3rd in the 45-49 age group (Hasan H; Mark W)
    • 4th in the 50-54 group (Robert C.)
    • 1st - 5th in the 60-69 age group (clean sweep):
      • Jeff D; Bob B; Bob D.; Dan E.; Michael S.
  • Great showing.  Good job Fellas.

Up next for us is the AAU Regional championships in a few weeks.

Side Note:  Hey BTC Master's Elite,  I think we can take you in a Team event.  Let me know if you're interested.  We'll bring our spikes.

Onward.


No comments:

Post a Comment