Sunday, July 26, 2020

Loudoun Street Mile

Hello Runners.

Exciting news!  I was actually able to race...in a REAL race....yesterday; the Loudoun Street Mile in Winchester, VA.  The race was slightly modified from the normal format, it was run in heats with a maximum of 50 per heat.  the "A" Heat for men seeded faster than 5:00; "B" Heat for fast women, and "C" Heat for Men slower than 5:00.  I submitted an optimistic seed time of 5:10 and was put in the "C" Heat.  "A" race went off at 9:00; "B" race at 9:10; and "C" Race at 9:20.

I met some team mates before the race, did our warm-ups; and started to feel it getting hotter and hotter.  At 9:20 race start it was 77 degrees and 85% humidity.  I turned to my team mate (Mark), who I was planning to run with most of way and suggested we target 5:15; 1:19 per quarter adjusted for incline/decline on the course; he agreed.  Plan set - we line up - and we're off.

The course is a straight shot down Loudoun Street, ending downtown Winchester on a pedestrian only brick outdoor shopping area.

Quarter by quarter breakdown:

  • Q1 (1:17): The first quarter is downhill, we spend the first 200 meters getting into rhythm and sorting thru the other racers, then settle in.  We go over the 1/4 mile marker in 1:17. Mark is no my shoulder, I'm feeling fine about 10 racers in front of us.  A couple seconds ahead of schedule, but I feel like I'm holding back some.
  •  Q2: (1:24): The 2nd quarter is uphill, and I planned to slow down some, but this is too slow.  I'm feeling fine, but I probably gave back a few seconds here.  Mark is still right on my shoulder.  I'm drafting off a kid, but I need to move.
  • Q3 (1:17): The third quarter is another downhill section.  I want to gain some time here and I do.  It's getting pretty hard now - I'm pushing, downhill is helping.  1:17, got a few seconds back.
  • Q4 (1:18):  My thought is to hold pace for another 200 meters, then go hard.  Mark is on my shoulder, the roads turns to bricks about 250-300 meter out.  When we get to the bricks Mark passes me and has about a 5 meter gap.  I go with him best I can, holding the gap but not closing back up on him.  I push and push - my legs will just not go any faster.  1:18 last quarter on a relatively flat section.
  • Total time: 5:16: one second, one tick, faster than four years.  Four years older, and one second faster, I'll take it. 

It was great to get back out and race again.  I really appreciate Runner's Retreat for putting on the race.  I'm sure there were extra steps they had to take, and it would have been easier to cancel like most have done - much, much appreciated!

I saw many people in "real life" that have been Strava only friends since February.  That was nice.

Now back to time trials - nothing else on the calendar anytime soon.

Onward.

No comments:

Post a Comment